BNG X GOSLINGS
The Bermuda National Gallery and Goslings Rum have teamed up to launch their second Annual Holiday Wrapping Paper Design Competition.
Artists and designers are invited to submit designs for a holiday-inspired wrapping paper which will be produced in time for the upcoming festive season and sold at the Goslings Dundonald Street and Front Street stores and via the Bermuda National Gallery online shop.
This year, in celebration of the launch of Goslings’ Flora Duffy Rum and in honor of Bermuda’s newest National Holiday, we ask designers to take inspiration from Flora Duffy’s historic success as Bermuda’s first Olympic gold medal winner.
The competition is open to professional and amateur artists alike and will be split between two age categories: 18-25 and 26 and over. There is a cash prize of $500 for each category. Both winners will also receive a private tour and rum tasting for up to 10 friends at the Bermuda National Gallery, a BNG membership and 10 sheets of wrapping paper.
In addition to this, the winner of the 18-25 category will receive a Bermuda National Gallery Mentorship which includes meeting with local art and design professionals, and the opportunity to be involved in upcoming BNG exhibition design as well as a Goslings Rum Mentorship in Brand Development, giving the winner an insight into how Goslings maintains and advances their brand identity.
The two winning designs will be featured in the windows of the Goslings Front Street store and on both the Bermuda National Gallery and Goslings Rum social media platforms.
The deadline for entry is midnight on Sunday, November 7. The winners will be announced on Monday, November 15.
- This contest is open to Bermudian nationals residing both in Bermuda and overseas and residents in Bermuda who have been living on island for 6 months or more.
- Must be age 18 or older at the time of application.
- Submission is limited to one design per applicant.
- Employees of the BNG and Goslings are not eligible to enter.
There are key concepts of the 2021 Holiday Wrapping Paper Competition that the organizing committee would like you to incorporate into the design:
- Design must be inspired by Flora Duffy and her historic win
- Please note that the Olympic rings cannot be included as these are trademarked. Designs which include the rings will be automatically disqualified.
- Design must work as a repeat pattern
- Print size: 25.5” x 19”
- Include a 0.125” bleed on all four sides.
- Submission can be lower res for emailing and judging purposes; if chosen, final art for production should be 300 dpi at size.
- Include with entry any ideas for varnish or finishing techniques.
- Entrants must follow @bermuda_nationalgallery and @goslingsrum on instagram to be eligible for entry. Alternatively, those who are not on social media must sign up for the BNG e-newsletter at www.bng.bm.
- Complete the online application form and send a PDF of your design to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Entries without a complete application form and who do not follow both Instagram accounts will not be eligible for inclusion in the competition.
- Entries received after midnight on Sunday, November 7 will not be counted.
- There are two age categories: 18-25 and 26 and over.
- The winners will be contacted directly and announced on Monday, November 15.
- Both winning designs will be put into production and sold at the Goslings Dundonald Street wine shop and the Goslings Front Street store.
- There is a cash prize of $500 for each category.
- Both winners will also receive a private tour and rum tasting for up to 10 friends at the Bermuda National Gallery, a BNG membership and 10 sheets of wrapping paper.
- In addition to this, the winner of 18-25 category will receive a Bermuda National Gallery Mentorship which includes meeting with local art and design professionals and the opportunity to be involved in upcoming BNG exhibition design, plus a Goslings Rum Mentorship in Brand Development, giving the winner an insight into how Goslings maintains and advances their brand identity.
- Winners will have the right to use their wrapping paper design as part of their design portfolio.
- The winning designs will be featured in the Front Street facing windows of the Goslings Front Street store and on both the BNG and Goslings Rum social media platforms. Winners will also be showcased on the Bermuda National Gallery website and in their arts newsletter.
- The winners will be chosen by a selection committee who will pick their favorite design from each category.
- The committee will be formed by competition organizers and include island arts professionals.
- Designs will be judged anonymously.
NOTE: All judging will be based solely on the designs. Submissions will be posted to social media through the organizers. All entrants will automatically be added to the Bermuda National Gallery e-mail list and will receive their fortnightly arts newsletter.